Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Shaffer Family Voting Guide - 2018 June Primary Edition


As always, people should be aware that I am a pretty liberal democrat, though I consider myself fiscally moderate. So these endorsements reflect that position on the political spectrum. Second, I was a little lazy and mostly followed the SF Chronicle endorsements, though for some I had to research further. I include below a link to each editorial source that I used.

Background:
    - I followed all the chronicle endorsements, *except* I picked Villaraigosa for governor. I really like Gavin Newsom, but here am trying to game the "top two" primary system. I am hoping for 2 democrats at the top of the ballot, to optimize the outcome for the November election, which seems to me to be one of the most important since... well... since the last national election...
    - Beyond that, I used the San Mateo Daily Journal, Palo Alto Daily Post and Sacramento Bee to source endorsements for positions not covered by the Chronicle.

Shaffer Family Endorsements (in order they appeared on my ballot):
* Governor: Antonio Villaraigosa (or Gavin Newsom, really...)
* Lieutenant Governor: Jeff Bleich
* Secretary of State: Alex Padilla
* Controller: Betty Yee
* Treasurer: Fiona Ma
* Attorney General: Xavier Becerra
* Insurance Commissioner: Steve Poizner
* Member State Board of Equalization, 2nd district: Malia Cohen
* US Senator: Dianne Feinstein

(San Mateo Ballot pages)
* US Representative: Jackie Speier
* 22nd Assembly District: Kevin Mullen
* Judge of Superior Court, office #2: Gerald Buchwald
* Superintendent of Public Instruction: Tony Thurmond
* County Superintendent of Schools: Nancy Magee
* Assessor: Mark Church
* Controller: Juan Raigoza
* Coroner: Robert Foucrault
* District Attorney: Stephen Wagstaffe
* Sheriff: Mark Melville (this was a close call, still not really sure...)
* Treasurer: Sandie Arnott
* Prop 68: Yes
* Prop 69: Yes
* Prop 70: No
* Prop 71: Yes
* Prop 72: Yes
* Regional Measure 3: Yes


Editorial Sources:

SF Chronicle endorsements:
    https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2018/voter-guide/endorsements-list/

San Mateo Daily Journal endorsements:
    https://www.smdailyjournal.com/opinion/editorials/daily-journal-endorsements-for-san-mateo-county-june-elections/article_be91448a-5fba-11e8-81f7-1bd664e210de.html

State Board of Equalization, 2nd District
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/09/editorial-pick-cohen-for-tax-board-that-should-be-shut-down/

Superintendent of Public Instruction:
    http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/california-forum/article209944079.html

San Mateo Judge:
    http://padailypost.com/2018/02/09/contested-judge-race-san-mateo-county-takes-interesting-turn/


No comments:

Post a Comment